Select Language

In Year Admissions

How do I apply for an ‘In Year’ place for my child who is currently in Year 7?

If you child is currently in Year 7 and you would like to apply for a school place, please contact the Admissions Officer to discuss the application process.

How do we apply for our child to be admitted in a year other than Year 7? 

For ‘In Year’ applications, an IYAF (In Year Admission Form) must be completed and sent to the School you are applying for.  This form is available from:

  • Kent Admissions by telephoning 03000 412121; or 
  • It can be downloaded from the KCC website using this in year admission link along with guidance notes.

Please note: Highworth Grammar School does NOT require a Supplementary Information Form (SIF). Kent Admissions advise parents to visit several schools to help them make a choice.  By using the Kent Admissions Schools Databaseparents can find the schools nearest to them and access contact information in case they wish to visit them.  It is recommended that you do this first as you can fill out an application at the school and in some cases this can save time.  This is especially important if you have moved into the area and your child is out of school.  If the school has five or more places vacant, they can fast-track the application, but by doing this you will be accepting the place at that school and cannot fill out an IYAF naming other schools. You should fill out ONE IYAF for EACH of your school preferences.  On receipt of your completed IYAF, the school will contact you to let you know if a place can be offered.  If testing is required, as it is for Highworth, we will arrange this directly with you.

Your child can test only once for a particular Year Group and you have the right to appeal once for each declined place.  We provide a test during Term 6 for any student wishing to test for the following academic year, to start in September.

What happens next?

We will write to you to acknowledge your application and inform you of the next available casual testing date.

What does casual testing mean?

The test we use is a Cognitive Abilities Test (CAT4).  Further information on this test can be found by visiting the GL assessment website here.  This page explains how the CAT is used to assess ability but is for information only - parents cannot buy CAT practice papers.  However, the test is very similar in format to the Kent Test (11+) and the multiple choice practice papers for this test are the nearest thing you can buy for your child to practise on at home.  There is a link on the GL Assessment website to buy 11+ multiple choice papers on-line, or you can purchase them from most large bookshops.  Although the age range for the 11+ is 9 to 11 years, the format can be practised by all age groups as preparation for the CAT.  We usually test regularly (dates to be confirmed as required). 

If my child takes and passes the casual entry test, will they be offered a place at Highworth?

The offer of a place following a successful result in the test will depend upon a place being available in the appropriate year group.  If we are fully or over-subscribed in a year group it means the school cannot offer places and you will have to appeal on your child's behalf to an Independent Appeal Panel.  All students who have sat the casual entrance test and have been refused a place in writing have the right of appeal. 

How do I appeal for an ‘In Year’ place?

If you have applied for a place at the school and your child has been tested here, you have the right to appeal if your application is turned down, regardless of whether your child has been assessed as selective or not.

For In Year applications, your appeal should be made on the appeal form sent out by the school with your refusal letter.  Prompt return of the completed paperwork will result in an earlier appeal date.  If your appeal is unsuccessful, you cannot appeal again for that academic year.

Each appeal takes approximately half an hour.  All paperwork is scanned and distributed to everyone involved in the process, so please ensure all documents are A4.  Please do not label 'Appendix 1', 'Appendix 2' etc. as this is done when the papers are collated.  Do not highlight areas you wish to stand out; underline them instead, as scanning and photocopying can render highlighted sections illegible.  Please do not use staples.  There is no need to present your appeal in a folder or file.

Although you are invited to include all evidence you believe is pertinent to your case, please bear in mind the time constraints and restrict yourself to information which is relevant.  When deliberating on an appeal, the panel takes into consideration whether they believe your child is of the ability to cope with the level of work required at Highworth Grammar School and whether the decision NOT to award a place would prejudice their chance of an appropriate education.  They equally consider whether the inclusion of another student into that Year Group would prejudice the learning of the students already on roll.  The decision of the appeal panel is final.

If an appeal has been unsuccessful, is there anything else I can do?

If your appeal is unsuccessful, your child cannot test or appeal again for the same academic year.  The Local Authority will offer you a place at an alternative school or, if your child is already placed in a secondary school, will advise you that they will remain there.  You can appeal for any school you have named on your Common Application Form.  The Independent Appeals Panel’s decision can only be overturned by a higher authority.

Further information about the types of complaints parents / legal guardians can raise with the Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA) about academy independent admission appeal panels can be found here.