Our School App Stay connected on the go...
MUSIC IS SPECIAL!
Highworth has a legacy as a Music Specialist School, which means that there are lots of musical opportunities and resources for you as a member of the Sixth Form.
For those who wish to study the subject, we offer Music A level (Edexcel).
If you wish to take up or continue individual instrumental tuition, we have a large team of about twenty expert instrumental and vocal tutors. Mrs Cassé, our Music Department Administrator, can help by putting you in contact with the appropriate teacher and advising about cost. During the lunchtime we also offer preparation for theory exams and aural training. Students can be entered for ‘Associated Board and ‘Trinity’ exams; these are held at school 3 times a year.
There is a rich and varied programme of ‘extended curriculum’ activities during lunchtimes and after school – something for everyone! Do get involved in singing or playing:
- Folk Band, who regularly play in events out of school and at the National Festival of Music for Youth.
- Orchestra - meets during a lunchtime and performs regularly (recently accompanied ‘The Sound of Music’)
- School rock/pop bands, duos and soloists have forums in our regular Band Stand evening gigs (twice a year)
- Chamber Choir - takes its members, by audition, from years 10-13 and performs a varied repertoire. The choir performs in school, at various local venues and recently in Bruges, Belgium.
- Soul Choir is open to all singers in years 10-13 and sings in Soul, Gospel and other popular styles. The choir has performed in several prestigious events.
- Full Choir - At certain points in the year, particularly for the Carol Service in Ashford Parish Church, we combine our choirs to form a very large body of singers!
- Senior Musical: 2015 -‘The Sound of Music’, 2013 -‘Sweet Charity’ , 2011 -‘Oklahoma’, 2009 -‘Little Shop of Horrors’.
Any questions or suggestions see Mr Cheesman, Director of Music Specialism, or Mrs Booker in the Music Department.